Planes vs. Solids (3D)

 For my last blog post, I am focusing on planes vs solids (3D shapes) and measurement of these shapes. The first step is to make sure that my students understand the difference between a plane and a solid shape. I found a great reference to helping students understand this concept using a hands on approach.

[https://i.pinimg.com/originals/70/61/69/706169d0515b6b87a4da04a1d884bb8b.jpg]

I think that by having student or the teacher bring in a variation of candy, chips, etc. and having students sort these out by their characteristics is a great way for them to physically see the difference between a plane object and a 3 dimensional object. 

After students seem to understand the difference between plane and solid objects, I would then be able to introduce graph paper and tell students to place one object on their paper. Next, students would be able to measure their objects by "1 unit square". Not only would this be a great introductory lesson to different shapes but also a beneficial follow up lesson from perimeter. 


NYS Common Core Standards:

Geometric measurement: understand concepts of area and relate area to multiplication and to addition.

CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.3.MD.C.5- Recognize area as an attribute of plane figures and understand concepts of area measurement.
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.3.MD.C.5.A - A square with side length 1 unit, called "a unit square," is said to have "one square unit" of area, and can be used to measure area.



Comments

  1. I love your references and how creative that was! I am sure the students did and were better able to make connections through your follow up lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you used food as visual to represent 3D shapes for this lesson!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fraction Wars! - Math Concept Teaching Game, Personal Learning Path Week 6