Fraction Jeopardy and Fraction Battle - Week #3
I have been continuing on my path of reviewing fractions, both on my own and with my students. This last week I spent some time practicing on my own by working on resources on Khan Academy. (khanacademy.org) I also worked with my cooperating teacher to find great resources to use with students. This week I was excited to try two new approaches: Fraction Jeopardy and "Fraction Battle".
Fraction Jeopardy was played by diving the classroom into 4 teams (separated by rows). I would call on each team one on a time to select a category such as fractions and whole numbers, improper fractions, mixed fractions, etc. The students enjoyed this game because they were able to work together with their team mates to solve each question while also competing for top score! (My group is very competitive!)
Examples of some of the questions would be: " I have 7/4, what is this as a mixed number?" or "Which improper fraction equals to 4 1/3?"
Not only did the kids love this game, but I also felt that it was a great refresher for myself.
The next game we played was Fraction Battle. This game is played with a deck of playing cards. The class was split into two groups with a new player for each round. Each group received a white board to write their answers on. Each player would turn over 2 cards that they will use to make a fraction. The smallest number will become the numerator and the larger number becomes to denominator. When the buzzer goes off, both groups would compare their fractions and the larger fraction wins!
I think that both of these games were great ways to reteach fractions and get the students practicing working with fractions. I also thought both of these games were excellent ways to promote socialization, groupwork and engagement. This week showed me how teaching fractions to children can be done in multiple ways and there are plenty of fun ways to do so!
I really like how you've approached fractions in a different way! This is something I'd like to include in my fractions class. Nothing makes me happier than seeing kids having a good time while learning.
ReplyDelete