Geometry & Fractions Connection - Personal Learning Path Week 5
This week I introduced Geometry while still giving students practice with fractions. I found two really great worksheet on education.com (https://www.education.com/worksheet/article/fraction-fundamentals-part/) (https://www.education.com/worksheet/article/fraction-fundamentals-review/)
These worksheets allow students to identify new shapes while also recognizing how to shade in the represented fractions. The first worksheet "Fraction Fundamentals" shows students different shapes and allows students to shade in the written fraction of each shape. The second worksheet "Fraction Review" shows students a shape that is already shaded in and allows students to write the represented fraction. I wanted to have two different skillsets for students that feel they need more help with one skill over the other. Some students have been able to easily identify which part of a shape is shaded, but are not able to show the part when given a fraction. These worksheets were a great practice with a skill already learned and an even better introduction to learning new shapes.
When students were done with these worksheets, I asked my class "Does anyone recognize any shapes? Any new shapes? Are there shapes that you do not recognize? If so, which ones?"
During this lesson I gave out geometry flashcards for each student with a visual aid, as well as the definition or properties of each shape. I noticed that some were able to make real life connections to these objects/shapes by relating them to objects they see in or outside of the classroom. I thought this was really cool because this was something we have read about in our textbook- the importance of representing math in a way that allows students to make real life connections!
I am looking forward to diving in deeper with geometry. I am also giving myself refreshers and new knowledge on shapes, definitions and how to present this information to my students.
Standards:
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.3.NF.A.1- Understand a fraction 1/b as the quantity formed by 1 part when a whole is partitioned into b equal parts; understand a fraction a/b as the quantity formed by a parts of size 1/b.
Comments
Post a Comment