Teaching Area - Persona Learning Path Week 8

 One thing that I have wondered about is how to effectively teach perimeter and area to students. I think that the concept of perimeter/area can be both confusing and somewhat boring to students, so I have been interested in finding different ways to make this subject fun and creative for students. My group of students represents all different learning styles, so I also want to make sure that I fully represent all of my different learners. 


I found a resource on We Are Teachers (weareteachers.com) that shows creative ways to explore the topic of perimeter and area. This source was so helpful and included so many different options.

One way to teach about finding the perimeter and area that makes it fun for students is to use graph paper as a drawing background and have students draw a picture of themselves, only using the boxes as body parts. 

I think that this would be so engaging for students because they are making a representation of themselves, while also learning about area. 

Another great way that I found to teach students about area is by using letter block names or post it portraits.

After students create their letter block name or post it portrait, they can use the squares to calculate their area. I think that I am going to utilize some of these resources and creative ways to introduce area to my students because I notice that a lot of my student tend to loose interest and focus quickly. I think that if they are presented with a fun activity that incorporates the lesson, they will be interested and invested in their learning!

Resources:
https://www.weareteachers.com/area-and-perimeter/

https://iwanttobeasuperteacher.com/2012/05/perimeter-area-and-fraction-math.html

https://www.upperelementarysnapshots.com/2018/05/area-and-perimeter-activities.html



Comments

  1. I absolutely love this! Such a fun way to keep students engaged while learning. My next bulletin board is going to be about area and perimeter and the students are going to build a city!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Planes vs. Solids (3D)

Fraction Wars! - Math Concept Teaching Game, Personal Learning Path Week 6