The Shape Game- Personal Learning Path Week 7
Since my students are still getting familiar with geometry vocabulary and recognizing shapes and the names of shapes, I figured a game that is related to this content would be perfect for them. I am finding every week that I am challenging myself to find more fun and engaging ways to make math fun for students. I think that has been my biggest gain thus far. I have always connected math with being a boring and straight forward subject, but now that I am able to teach it, I am seeing how there are so many different ways to teach one concept and explore that concept!
This game is a great introduction to learning new shapes and classifying new shapes in terms of sides. I am having students work in small groups or pairs to play this game. Each player will roll the dice and color a shape on their board that has the number of sides represented on the dice. After coloring the shape, the student must name the shape. This will promote vocabulary that we learned last week.
"The Shape Game" Retrieved from: [https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/39476934210104761/]
I would also find ways to modify this game by having students use the block manipulatives and roll the dice, and create a shape by using the blocks. This would be used for my visual and hands on learners. I would ask students to classify the shape and explain why.
I am finding that my students are enjoying math because they look forward to solving problems and creating solutions either on their own or with groups. They also enjoy sharing their work with the class and how they arrived at their answer. These types of engagement should not only apply to solving a problem, but also reviews and learning vocabulary. I am opening my eyes more to understand that something as simple as doing so, can impact students greatly.
Standards:
Reason with shapes and their attributes.
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.3.G.A.1
Understand that shapes in different categories (e.g., rhombuses, rectangles, and others) may share attributes (e.g., having four sides), and that the shared attributes can define a larger category (e.g., quadrilaterals). Recognize rhombuses, rectangles, and squares as examples of quadrilaterals, and draw examples of quadrilaterals that do not belong to any of these subcategories.
Understand that shapes in different categories (e.g., rhombuses, rectangles, and others) may share attributes (e.g., having four sides), and that the shared attributes can define a larger category (e.g., quadrilaterals). Recognize rhombuses, rectangles, and squares as examples of quadrilaterals, and draw examples of quadrilaterals that do not belong to any of these subcategories.
Comments
Post a Comment